Tuesday, December 4, 2007

reflection(thesis project)

Reflection (Thesis project)

Min Hyung Lee


I am interested in interior design for the disabled because I have a nephew with handicap in Korea. I can see his difficulties maneuvering in public spaces and fully understand his family’s sorrow. Even though there are many building codes and laws regarding accessibility for people who have functional limitation, they are still have difficulties in daily life. So, I wrote about adaptable residential design for mobility disabilities for research paper and I wanted to expand this idea in public space for all. So, I focused on usable design for diverse abilities and ages. It is universal design.

This thesis paper is my second academic writing in APA style. I tried to write this thesis without any problem in APA style, first. And I think thesis is much better than research paper because I didn’t have any mistakes to apply APA style and citation in this thesis.

In thesis paper, I tried to write each paragraph more grammatically and connect each other. When I read research paper, I feel I suggest some criteria in each paragraph but I didn’t make any connection with previous paragraph clearly. I think it is my big problem in my writing style. I tried to use connection word before I start each sentences.

When I write something in English, I think some sentences in Korean and I translate these sentences in English. Sometimes, native speaker can’t understand this expression because these sentences are influenced in Korean thinking. My teacher also pointed out this problem to me. And I always tried to explain detail in writing. It makes each sentence long and I was pointed out redundant from my classmates and teachers feedback. So I tried to avoid redundant in this thesis.

I think this experience which figured out plagiarism and wrote paper according to APA style will be very helpful for our academic achievement. I believe that I can write more improved research paper next time, based on this experience.

No comments: