Tuesday, December 4, 2007

reflection (IEP course)

Reflection

Min Hyung Lee


During this semester, we had three main goals to achieve during this semester and there were many dynamic activities by using LMS and online chatting with classmates. It’s my first time to use computer system to learn English. We could access LMS any time whenever I want and we could do our group project by online chatting. I think this course was not only just in campus class but also it was out campus class.

First of all, we started this course with exact goals to achieve. I learned how I explain my artwork. I didn’t have any idea about artist statement because I didn’t have any artistic background before I came in here. Even though I didn’t have any experience about art, I tried to apply some criteria which are components for artist statement. And I could understand clearly what artist statement is through Professor Guggenheim’s lecture and presentation.

Other goals were research paper and thesis about the handicapped. I am interested in interior design for the disabled because I have a nephew with handicap in Korea. I can see his difficulties maneuvering in public spaces and fully understand his family’s sorrow. So, I focused on universal design which is usable design for diverse ages and ability. Even though I didn’t know what American style academic paper is because we didn’t have any experience writing those papers in Korea, I was able to get ability to analyze each paragraph and I can write those papers grammatically through several revisions with teacher.


We spent much time to learn how we can prevent from plagiarism in academic paper during this semester. Teacher tried to teach exact ways to cite using APA style and what plagiarism is by so many different materials and different ways. These materials helped me clear to understand about citation and plagiarism. And I finished research paper and thesis through applying what I learned. I learned a lot through actual practice and several revisions with my teacher.


Even though I still have many writing problems in English like plural and singular nouns and articles, I think I developed my abilities to write academic writing through this course.

No comments: